Three-year-old girl was left with burns on her hands after picking bad flowers
A three-year-old girl cried in pain with burns and huge blisters on her hands after touching the wrong plant while she was picking flowers.
Caitlin Duffy warned other parents to be careful of plants after her daughter Ruby ended up in the hospital.
Caitlin said Ruby burned her hands touching giant hogweed while out for a walk on Monday, the Daily Record reports.
Caitlin said: “She obviously didn’t know what she was choosing. The reaction didn’t appear until Wednesday morning – and doctors said the reaction likely worsened as she played in the sun.
“That’s what made the blisters so bad, and they said giant hogweed would still affect that area of his hand which will now always be prone to sunburn and things like that.
“It’s pretty scary that all of this has happened from a plant and I think a lot of people don’t even know what it is or what it can do.”
The toddler’s little hand was covered in blisters (Image: supplied)
Caitlin said, “I was so scared when she woke up (with the blisters), I thought she had touched something hot or had burned herself.
“She also didn’t know what was going on and kept screaming ‘what happened to my fingers?’
“She must have been so scared and I felt guilty because she was in so much pain from it.
“She was fine in the morning, it wasn’t until later in the afternoon that it started to get really painful and she was sobbing constantly and that’s when I decided to go to Ninewells (hospital, Dundee).
“They popped all the big blisters for her and it seems to have brought her some relief, but she still won’t be using that hand just yet and just isn’t herself.
Little Ruby tries to enjoy it despite her pain (Image: supplied)
“She’s never had such an experience, but the way the staff handled her was so amazing.”
Caitlin added, “I would just tell other parents to be vigilant and educate themselves on this, kids are picking plants and I’m definitely a lot more careful now.
“Just keep your eyes open. If they come in contact with it, ask them to wash their hands immediately.
“The last two days have been so stressful and I would never want anyone else to go through this.
“Just watching her suffer has been absolutely horrible. She’s not herself yet and it’s quite heartbreaking to watch.”
Giant hogweed is an invasive plant introduced to the UK in the 19th century from Central Asia and the Caucasus Mountains, which now grows wild across the country.
Caitlin, who is a nurse, sent a thank you letter to NHS Tayside.
It reads: “I wanted to send a message this morning thanking the nurse and doctor who helped my daughter and myself last night at the Ninewells Pediatric Assessment Unit.
“I never thought that in 100 years all of this could be caused by a plant. So by sharing what happened to us, we hope we can prevent other little ones from going through this. giant hogweed plants in the region. “
For more stories of where you live, visit InYourZone.